Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reflection and Resolutions

It’s a few days early, I understand, but Happy New Year!

As I have oft been reminded these last few days, this time of the year is perfect for reflection and resolutions.  There are several people who should take credit for my “jumping on the bandwagon” and posting about my reflections on this past year, and my resolutions for 2011.

In no particular order, these three authors and posts were the catalyst for my content this week.  If you’re reading this post, please click on the links and read the ones that inspired me.




This past year has been a challenging year for me.  In addition to the commitment I made when I created this blog, I also run a beverage manufacturing company.  My partners and I bought a 33 year-old company almost 2 years ago.   The transition period took almost 14 months to complete, and during that time we weren’t able to focus on much marketing or brand building.

During the past 12 months, we launched new products, a new website, and, a new on-line store.  We doubled our marketing spend, developing new sales materials, attending more tradeshows, and developing strategic partnerships.  We also hired new personnel.  In an economy where other companies were cutting budgets and people, we went in the opposite direction…we spent.

As anyone can tell you, when you ramp up your spending like we did, you simultaneously ramp up your stress level.  Thankfully, a lot of the programs we initiated have paid dividends, and should continue to benefit us in 2011.

My new year’s resolutions, at least for this blog, are to write more consistently (but always focused on providing valuable content, right C.C?).

In order to do that, in addition to my normal posts I am resolved to read more social media, marketing, and/or business management books.  I’ll post a review of the books, and offer up practical information I can implement in my own businesses.

I am also going to add an interview category.  I’ve been involved in foodservice beverages for over 15 years.  Over that time, I have networked with several FnB industry leaders.  Their views and opinions of industry trends are not only insightful, but also relevant.  I’ll be asking them about their views for the industry, current trends, future predictions, and best-practice examples.

As we head into the new year, what are some of the things you will do differently to make 2011 better than 2010?

No comments:

Post a Comment