Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'M IN PASADENA AND YOU'RE NOT...

I am in Pasadena, California. Actually, as I type this entry I am winging my way across Texas en-route to Pasadena. I wish I could say I was there to sell some iced tea concentrates (and indirectly I guess I could say that), but the truth is…

I’m here attending an industry conference called Top 2 Top. The Foodservice Marketers Association, or FSMA, hosts the conference, which takes place over a couple of days…this year in the VERY beautiful Langham Huntington Hotel, Pasadena.

Top 2 Top is a networking event designed to bring foodservice manufacturers (me) and foodservice marketers (we call them brokers) together to discuss challenges and opportunities facing our industry.

This is the first time I have been invited to the event, so I am not quite sure what to expect. All I can say is that spending a few days in Pasadena with foodservice industry veterans is a pretty good gig, and I consider myself very lucky.

Of course, one of the items I am most interested in discussing is the use of social media in our industry. More and more of the foodservice industry is heading online, which I believe is a good thing. But are we heading online simply to BE online? Or, are we being effective in our social media efforts?

Obviously, there are some foodservice companies and brands that are doing well in the social media universe. And of course there are some that maintain an online presence and do nothing with it.

My company (ThirsTea Corp) has only scratched the surface on our social media strategy. There is a lot we still need to do to try and engage our customers online. Eventually we will get there, but I am cautious to make sure our online efforts support our traditional marketing efforts.

Top 2 Top is about more than just industry networking and my social media queries. It is yet another chance for the foodservice industry to meet and discuss the challenges and opportunities facing our industry.

It’s no secret that the foodservice industry has been hit hard by the country’s economic situation. The industry has been affected by rising ingredient and packaging costs, high labor costs, and relatively low margins.

Manufacturers have had to absorb rising ingredient and packaging costs over the last two years, afraid to pass those costs on for fear of losing portions of our client base. We have had to deal with rising distribution costs in the form of higher outbound freight. And, our cost to market our products to foodservice operators has increased as well.

As a result, manufacturers have had to get creative in finding ways to reduce costs and/or become more efficient in our ordering, warehousing and manufacturing processes.

In our very specific niche of the foodservice beverage industry, we have started seeing signs of economic improvement…slow, small signs that the financial health of our industry (and also that of the country) is starting to improve.

Over the next few days it will be interesting to see if others in my industry have seen similar improvements in their segments, or maybe my optimism is just filtering my perception like light thru a prism.

In any event…I’m in Pasadena and you’re not.

Bonus question:

I promised an Arnold question, but the fact that I am in Pasadena could not be overlooked…so…

“The Little Old Lady from Pasadena” was recorded in 1964, by Jan and Dean. How high up did it get on the charts? Don’t know the answer? No worries. Just click here for the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment