Monday, November 22, 2010

Distribution 2.0

If the sign of a successful blog posting is an open and passionate discussion about your topic, I must have written the mother of all blog posts. After posting the 3rd installment of Foodservice Outlook 2020, my phone started ringing.

The irony of having someone call me regarding an online posting was not lost on me at all.

Don’t get me wrong. I received several emails with comments and words of congratulations as well. But the phone call was one of the most interesting.

“Why did you write that stuff about the distributors and brokers?” I was asked. “What were you thinking?”

“What do you mean?” I responded. “All I did was write about a day dream I had describing a distribution model which was efficient from a manufacturers perspective. My model doesn’t exist, and in all reality probably never will exist.”

“That’s not the point. You’re a brand and a manufacturer who needs distributors to get your product to market. Your post could potentially cost you a relationship with a distributor.”

I usually try to think of how my words will be interpreted before I hit send. However, I did not even consider the scenario I was currently being presented. I mean, my post was written a little tongue-in-cheek. I had been presented with a scenario in a conference, which as a manufacturer seemed to be at one end of the spectrum. I offered the unorthodox and contrarian perspective as a means of illustrating the normalcy of our existing distribution model.

Sure, our distribution path has some potholes. We have some issues that need to be resolved. We, as an industry, have to figure out a better communication model so manufacturer, distributor and operator are all working towards the same goal. We need to develop transparency throughout our multiple channels to build trust and foster better partnerships.

BUT…our distribution model works. Foodservice Manufacturers build products. Operators purchase food products. Consumers consume food products. And distributors, well distributors are the important piece that makes the entire system work.

We aren’t interested in reengineering the distribution model. Foodservice Beverage Manufacturers like myself only want to figure out how to sell more foodservice beverage items, communicate with our operators and consumers, and maximize our profit margins by becoming more efficient.

So, from this beverage manufacturer and brand owner to all those distributors who help us get our products to market, thank you for doing what you do. We don't have the patience, the knowledge, or the vehicles to do what you do...so please keep doing it. And if you can add a few extra cases of mine on every delivery, I would surely appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment