Friday, November 19, 2010

Foodservice Outlook, 2020 (3 of 3)

This is a continuation of my earlier posts, describing my thoughts and comments about the 2010 IFMA President's Conference. This post wraps up my discussions regarding FS-2020.

I was immediately brought back to reality when I subconsciously heard Bill say, “Costs and prices always go down.”

What? Huh?

Did I hear that correctly, or was I still working on my new distribution model? Thankfully, as if he heard the panic in my thoughts, he repeated himself…”Costs and prices always go down.”

Bill, I love you, but what the heck are you talking about? My ingredient costs have gone up. My warehousing costs have gone up. My labor costs have gone up. My freight and fuel costs have gone up. My packaging costs have gone up. The only thing that has gone down in the past year is my profit margin.

I looked up to find Bill moderating a panel of industry leaders, discussing the talking points from his presentation. Apparently the panel was back to discussing buying groups, and Bill was trying to make the point that as manufacturers (or distributors) once you lower your pricing, it is hard (if not impossible) to raise it again.

First, I need to offer some constructive criticism of the panel. We were at an IFMA conference - IFMA, as in the International Foodservice Manufacturers Association. Notice the Foodservice Manufacturer's portion of the name. Bill’s panel consisted of 3 operators and a distributor discussing the potential future and shape of the foodservice industry.

Personally, I thought a key component of the foodservice industry was missing from the panel…a foodservice MANUFACTURER. It would have been great to hear the thoughts from a global food manufacturer like Kellog’s or Nestle, but really any manufacturing perspective of the potential future of our industry would have been appreciated.

Despite the lack of a manufacturer on the panel, the panel offered some insightful comments. One sentiment repeated by all the panelists was - the sales process is changing.

Let me repeat that because I think it's important...THE SALES PROCESS IS CHANGING.

Consumers are not interacting with brands in traditional fashion. They are talking about our brands in social spaces like Facebook and Twitter. They are finding foodservice operators on sites (and mobile apps) like OpenTable, Yelp!, and FourSquare.

Conversations ARE happening, and people ARE talking about our brands. The "new" sales process needs to focus on engaging those customers and participating in the conversations.

If our industry of foodservice manufacturing is going to survive (and succeed), we need to figure out how to engage with the customers. If we can figure out how to engage with the customer and operator in the same conversation, even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment